A popular outdoor ice skating rink in Blackpool has been forced to close again today (December 4) only a week after shutting because of safety fears due to Storm Arwen.
Blackpool’s Christmas By The Sea village skating rink is not open this afternoon due to ‘high winds’.
Organisers said they are monitoring the weather and will try to reopen the 40-metre long synthetic rink if the weather improves.
Visit Blackpool said in a statement: “Due to high winds, the use of the skating rink on the headland is currently suspended and it will not be able to open as planned at midday.
“We are closely monitoring the weather and will try to reopen the rink later today if conditions improve.”
The Met Office say this weekend will be wet and windy, with hail “possible” with “snow over the highest ground”.
Experts have predicted “frequent” showers and “longer periods of rain” today (Saturday), and it will feel cold in strong and blustery northwesterly winds.
There is a 90% chance of rain until 4pm today, dropping to 10% with winds easing from 6pm tonight.
Conditions are likely to ease on Sunday, but it will remain windy – with further rain expected on Monday.
Organisers confirmed last Sunday that the ice rink would reopen after taking a battering from Storm Arwen.
The popular attraction was forced to shut last Friday due to safety fears as the coastline was battered with gusts of wind of up to 80mps.
The free to use ice rink, which can hold up to 160 skaters per session, is open from Thursday to Sunday until December 27 and then daily (except Christmas Day) until January 3.
For the latest news and breaking news visit the LancsLive website.
Get all the latest news, sport and what’s on stories sent to your inbox daily with the LancsLive newsletter here.