The motorcyclist died after the crash at around 9pm last night (September 6) and police closed the motorway between junctions 1 and 3 overnight to investigate.
The M55 remains shut this morning and police say it is likely to remain closed until midday as their investigation into the crash continues.
Two people are understood to have been arrested in connection with the fatal crash. Both remain in custody this morning.
A police spokesman said: “We were called at around 9.05pm last night (Sunday, September 6) to the report of a collision on the M55, approximately one mile before junction 3 on the westbound carriageway.
“It is believed that there was a collision between a car and motorcyclist, with another collision between the motorcyclist and a van.
“Sadly, the motorcyclist was pronounced dead at the scene.
“Two people have been arrested in connection with the incident and remain in police custody at this time.
“The motorway remains closed in both directions between junctions 3 to 1 whilst police continue their investigation. It is likely to remain closed for some time.
“We would advise motorists to avoid the area and to plan alternative routes for travelling during rush hour.
“Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call 101 quoting incident reference 1538 of September 6.”
Highways England are assisting police with the motorway closure and diversions are in place this morning.
A Highways spokesman said: “The Lancashire Police accident investigation is ongoing. Highways England has resources deployed to assist.
“The road is expected to remain closed in both directions until at least midday today
“Road users are advised to expect disruption and to allow extra journey time. Please seek alternative routes.”
Diversions are in place this morning.
– Exit the M55 at J1 and follow the solid black circle diversion symbol on road signs.
– Join the A6 southbound and continue to the A6/A5085 junction.
– At the junction turn right onto the A5085 westbound.
– At A5085/A583 junction, take A583 west towards Kirkham.
– Take 3rd exit at A583/A585 roundabout and follow the A585 north.
– At M55 J3 take 1st exit to re-join the M55 westbound.
– Exit the M55 at J3 and follow the hollow black square diversion symbol on road signs.
– Join the A585 southbound towards Kirkham.
– At the A585/A583 roundabout take 1st exit onto A583 eastbound towards Preston.
– At A583/A5085 junction, take A5085 towards city centre.
– At junction of A5085/A6 turn left onto A6 northbound.
– At M55 J1 take 3rd exit to re-join the M55 eastbound.