Work would also include the provision of better facilities for worshippers and those who use the church buildings, plus re-rendering of part of the bell tower
Planning permission is being sought to upgrade a historic Blackpool church including repairs to its bell tower.
Proposals have been submitted to the council to build a single storey extension to form a new entrance at St Mark’s Church on Westcliffe Drive in Layton. Work would also include the provision of better facilities for worshippers and those who use the church buildings, plus re-rendering of part of the bell tower.
A design statement submitted by Yorkshire-based Overton Architects says: “The provision of the accessible WC and kitchenette will allow the church to be used in a greater capacity as a venue for recovery, community, fundraising,
and religious activity, without reliance on the church hall as a base for
“Increased availability of use will influence a greater reach in the community and therefore provide a social and economic boost. The design of the new porch will make visitors feel more welcomed into the church, as they will no longer have to use the largely hidden and rundown porch at the end of the driveway.”
St Mark’s is a locally listed building within Layton which is due to gain conservation area status. Construction began in 1925 in a neo-romanesque architectural style, and replaced a former mission church which had been on the site since 1909.
The proposals will now go before town hall planners at a future date for consideration.
Be the first to comment on "Plans to upgrade historic Blackpool church including extension and bell tower repairs"