Get on your bike and ride down the promenade
The nights will soon shine bright for several months when the Blackpool Illuminations are officially switched on for 2022, on September 3. But for those who simply cannot wait to experience the magic of travelling through the six miles of colour before the masses and are looking for a sneak preview, then there’s one special way to do it.
But they’ll need one very important thing; a bike. For one night only, the resort’s promenade will be closed to traffic, giving thousands of cyclists the opportunity to Ride The Lights ahead of the switch-on concert. This year’s edition of the free annual event will take place on August 30, between 7pm and 10pm.
To Make Perpetual Income Every Month!
Visitors can join and leave the ride at any point long the prom, from Starr Gate at South Shore to Red Bank Road in Bispham. Riders are also encouraged to decorate their bike and ‘light their ride’. Ride the Lights is open to all ages.
What do I need to know?
Parking – participants are advised to use the park and ride facility at Blackpool Airport for £2 per vehicle.
The trams will also be operation on the night
Cycle safety rules:
- All bikes must have a minimum of one white light at the front and one red light at the back.
- It is highly recommended cycle helmets are worn.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- There will be marshals and first aiders along the route
- Support vehicles will be available to look after breakdowns and punctures.
- The road will re-open to traffic at 10pm.
- 16:06, 9 AUG 2022